- The truths expressed in the Bible, both the Old Testament and the New Testament, and
- The doctrines of the historical Christian church.
Christians understand God to be eternal, all-powerful, all-knowing, and personal. In Christianity, God is one, but has three centers of person hood (the Trinity). The three persons of the Trinity are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (or Holy Ghost). Other Christian teachings are:
- God created the universe and everything in it.
- God created humans that we might serve Him, love Him, and glorify Him.
- The first humans, Adam and Eve, were created with free will to obey or to disobey God’s commands.
- They chose to disobey and as a result, God cursed the universe and gave humans a sin nature.
According to Christian teaching:
- God is holy, just and righteous.
- God hates sin, but He loves those whom He created even though they are sinners.
- Because God is just, He must punish sin, but because He is merciful, He made a way for those who will receive it to return to fellowship with Him.
- God sent His Son, Jesus Christ, the second person of the Trinity, to earth in a human body to live the perfect life and to take the just punishment for sin upon Himself by dying on the cross (crucifixion) in our place.
- If we will receive His gift of salvation in faith, God will forgive our sins and accept us into His family once again.
This is what the Bible teaches, both the Old Testament and the New Testament, and this is what the Christian Church teaches — both Protestant and Catholic. Many people consider that the Bible is just a book of fables and can’t be trusted. But there are problems with this idea. For one, the Bible gives a detailed historical account of the time period from the beginning of the earth until just after the time of Jesus. archaeological evidence supports the account given in the Bible in many details. There are no cases in which archaeological evidence contradicts the Bible. In cases where people thought there were contradictions, further research showed that there were no contradictions after all.
Another line of evidence for the Bible is in the area of prophecy. The Bible contains many instances of prophecies of future events. In every case the prophecy has come true. Some of these prophecies are simply amazing. One example is the prophecy in the book of Daniel which gives the exact time from the command to rebuild the city of Jerusalem and the coming of Jesus Christ. It was fulfilled perfectly.